Monday, December 20, 2010

Reverb Prompt- 11 Things





I love the website Reverb10. I'll admit I haven't done a prompt a day, done them in order or completed very many of the prompts at all. But there was one that really inspired me. In the theme of preparing for the new year I loved the idea that this prompt wasn't "11 Things You Want to Accomplish," or "11 Things You Want To Do Differently," or "11 Resolutions," but simply "11 Things Your Life Does Not Need in 2011." Cleaning out is just as important, maybe even more important, than adding things in. So here goes, my 11 Things.

  1. It does not need people that have let go of me. A one sided holding on will wear out even the most resilient soul. If they have let go, I will too. It’s hard when you have invested time, love, confidence in someone and they walk away. But it’s harder not to simply let them keep going.
  2. It does not need guilt over goodies. If I want to eat a piece of pie, or some ice cream, or a chocolate bar- damn it I’m a grown up, I can eat whatever I want to. I’m not going to feel bad about it anymore.
  3. My life does not need to be stocked to overflowing. It’s time to do less and do what I’m doing better. More time to the more important.
  4. It does not need procrastination. Putting things off ALWAYS comes back and bites me in the ass but I haven’t learned to just get things done when they first come up. I would love for this to be the year.
  5. I’m going to banish the term “good enough” because it is exhausting my soul. “Enough” is enough. I am enough just exactly the way I am.
  6. I’m not going to worry over certain people’s opinions on my life when what I do, think, believe is really none of their business.
  7. It does not need any more “shoulds.” I’ve got plenty of those in stock and they all need to be cleaned out and dumped unceremoniously into a trash bin.
  8. It does not need even one single dinosaur fact. So there.
  9. It does not need me to think about, plan on, or contemplate entering juried photography shows, exhibits and contests. It does need me actually entering them.
  10. It does not need more things (well, except for camera lenses). In fact, it may need a few less things (which could help me pay for camera lenses).
  11. It does not need any more over-sensitive. I don’t know how I can change this about myself and I probably won’t, but the title of this list isn’t “Eleven Things You Are Going to Change,” it is “Eleven Things My Life Does Not Need.” It does NOT need over-sensitivity, but it will probably have it. There, at least I was honest about it.

1 comment: