Friday, December 17, 2010

Time, time ticking.





My favorite quote is the one found on the side of my blog "The earth spins at a thousand miles per hour as we all try desperately not to get thrown off." Too often the world feels exactly like that, whirling fast and faster, chewing away bits of our life so incessantly and leaving us to wonder where it all went. If I am going to make a resolution of any kind this year it is going to be to try to slow down my world. To make it less about just holding on, surviving, hoping not be thrown off, and enjoying the moments, holding them as long as I can, being fully present in the "now" instead of anticipating the "then." This coming year I want more ice cream cones. I want more contented, sleepy moments. I want more long talks with friends. I want more TIME. But I won't be given more time so that means I have to find a way to enjoy, savor, truly experience, the time that I have. None of us will ever be given more time but we can slow it down just a little, stop wishing it away (I wish it were this time next week, Only three more days until Friday...), and reclaim it as belonging to us instead of to that merciless madly spinning wheel that whisks it away so fast, too fast.

I can't stop. But I can slow down. I can take on less and then do what I am doing better. I can enjoy things more if I prioritize and stop trying to jam six things into a single day, hour, minute. I think I'll start today, it isn't as though I'm going to be given a repeat. When these moments are gone they are never coming back. Though they are destined to slip away I would rather grasp them as though they are sand instead of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment